I'm Etalie, I'm currently studying for my AS levels and will (hopefully) be posting revision entries on psychology and sociology.
I previously uploaded posts on GCSE revision. If it helps you then great! But I'm not an expert on anything AT ALL so don't rely on everything I post.
(Also, I'm not taking credit for any of the pictures or info here, it's all off google images, notes from BBC bitesize and CGP revision guides, textbooks etc)

(NB - GCSE: italics in the science subjects are things that are only in paper 2!)

Thursday 10 April 2014

1 - STRUCTURES AND FUNCTIONS IN LIVING ORGANISMS

Levels of organisation - 
  1. Similar cells -> tissues 
  2. Tissues -> organs 
  3. Organs -> organ systems 
1. Similar cells are organised into tissues 
  • Tissue - group of similar cells that work together to carry out a particular function 
  • eg: plants - xylem tissue (transporting water and mineral salts) and phloem tissue (transporting sucrose and amino acids) 
  • Can contain more than one cell type 
2. Tissues are organised into organs 
  • Organ - group of different tissues that work together to perform a function 
  • eg: lungs in mammals, leaves (both made up of different tissue types) 
3. Organs make up organ systems 
  • Each system does different job 
  • eg: digestive system - stomach, intestines, pancreas, liver 

No comments:

Post a Comment